Here is my thought processes when purchasing components for a new PC. I usually buy my stuff from newegg.ca. Watch out for shipping costs.
Newegg -> All Products -> Components ->*
You need to make sure these filters are set every time you pick a new component. Common Filters:
- Sold By: Newegg
- Sort By: Lowest Price
- Condition: New
- AMD is cheaper than Intel
- Good choices: Ryzen 3 (quad core), Ryzen 5 (six core), Ryzen 7 (eight core)
- Ryzen CPU’s are all AM4 socket
- Check https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php for comparing speeds
- Select socket (ie. AM4)
- PCI Express 3.0 x16 (at least one slot for video card)
- Number of Memory Slots: at least 4 (for future upgrading)
- Take note of:
- Memory type/speeds supported (ie. DDR4 3000/2600)
- Form factor (ie. Micro ATX) (For choosing a case)
- SATA 6GB/s ports (For hard drives)
- Make it has a LAN port
- Make sure it has audio ports
- USB 3.0 or 3.1 ports
- Capacity: 8GB per module 2x8GB - Fills 2 of the 4 slots to allow future expansion.
- Match type and speeds from motherboard (ie. DDR4 3000/2600)
- Modular is nice
- Make sure it has enough watts to support CPU and Video Card
SSD for system drive
- 2.5" drive is fine (SATA 3)
- Possibly an M.2 form factor but make sure motherboard supports it. No real advantage over 2.5" SATA 3.
- 240GB or more
HDD for media/games/etc
- Optional, but if not getting it, make sure your SSD is big enough!
- Something large, like 2TB+
- Make sure your motherboard form factor fits (ie. Micro ATX)
- Looks for 2.5" bays if needed
- If it has more than 1 fan, you may want to make sure the motherboard has more than 1 external fan header.
- I prefer NVidia over ATI.
- GTX or RTX series. Ti is better than non-Ti.
- Check https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php for benchmarks.
- Make sure it’s PCI 3.0 x16 (ie. your motherboard has to support it)
- More ram on video is better. 4gb, 6gb, 8gb, +
- If you want dual monitor, make sure your monitors/video card has the correct connectors (DVI, HDMI, etc)
- If you want SLI (dual video card):
- Get a supporting motherboard, power supply, and video cards.